A couple of questions for iPhone users!

Have something general to talk about? This is the place.

A couple of questions for iPhone users!

Postby JohnSwanson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm

On Monday I purchased my first Apple product, an iPhone SE, and I HAD very high expectations! I like the vivid display
colors and the great resolution, but this is the first smart phone that's giving me grief from the get-go! After I configured
the password for my wireless router, I saw the wireless light on my router flashing rapidly and, after a few minutes, I was
prompted to upgrade to iOS 11. After the upgrade I was able to complete configuring my email and some misc settings.
Then the touch screen stopped responding to my touch! However, it looked like I could recover from this by pressing the
Home button, but this fix didn't work for long! This problem even prevents me from sliding the power-off button!
Sometimes, if I wait for 10-20 minutes, the touch screen starts working for a while.

Note that I haven't installed any apps yet because I'm unable to create my Apple ID! I complete all of the requested info,
including a credit card #, and press the button to send the security code to my email address. However, I never receive
the email! I've tried both of my email addresses, but neither one works. This means that my iPhone has only the apps
provided by Apple.

I found a thread on Apple's support site about iPhone SE touch display problems occurring after the iOS 11 upgrade.
However, my problem appears to be far worse because the phone is practically useless! Does Apple release software
with problems as obvious as what I'm experiencing?

I can exchange this iPhone at Best Buy for up-to 2 weeks after I purchased it. If my phone has a hardware problem, then
this is obviously what I should do! However, if not, then I'll waste more time configuring another iPhone SE! Note that I
lived with a Samsung Android phone for nearly 3 years and I'll never purchase another Android device!

What's my next move?

Thanks!
John
JohnSwanson

Re: A couple of questions for iPhone users!

Postby remberger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm not an expert, but I have 2 suggestions.

1) Re-boot your I-phone. You can do this by simultaneously holding down the home button and the power button. You may have to hold them for 10-20 seconds until the apple logo appears. The re-boot then takes a couple of minutes.

2) I see you have access to a computer. Download I-tunes software to your computer. Set up your apple account there. Use your Apple charge cable to connect to your computer and link to your I-tunes software. You can get software updates via I-tunes and back up your phone to your computer.

Hope this helps
Bob
remberger

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:48 pm

JohnSwanson wrote:....

Does Apple release software
with problems as obvious as what I'm experiencing?

I can exchange this iPhone at Best Buy for up-to 2 weeks after I purchased it. If my phone has a hardware problem, then
this is obviously what I should do! However, if not, then I'll waste more time configuring another iPhone SE! Note that I
lived with a Samsung Android phone for nearly 3 years and I'll never purchase another Android device!

What's my next move?

Thanks!
John

No, Apple does not release software that is buggy as this. They are far from perfect but their SW quality control is better than most companys.

Next move, reboot the phone. If that doesn't work return the phone.
Dave

Re: I found a way to create my Apple ID online

Postby JohnSwanson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Apple has a website where I can create my Apple ID, with the exception of my credit card number.
This time I received the email with the security code the first time and I easily created my Apple ID.

The first time I used the App Store, I was prompted to provide my credit card # and I downloaded the
iPhone user guide and the Firefox web browser. I really wish that Apple would issue a PDF version
of the user guide because it's easier for me to read than an iBook is!

The touch screen on my phone has been trouble-free for the last 24 hours! I suspect that this
intermittent problem is related to the iOS 11 upgrade and there's a thread on Apple's support site
about this problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8072780

I have 8 days left to return my iPhone at Best Buy, but I believe that a new device will exhibit the
same flaw!
JohnSwanson

Postby Gary S » Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 am

My wife and I have used Androids for several years. They have been good for us. BUT I will never buy another Samsung product. Neither phone nor tablet. I have used several and every one is very quirky. I have has good luck with LG products.
Gary S

Re: I used to own an Android phone, but never again!

Postby JohnSwanson » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:10 am

My previous smart phone was a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, which was my first, and only Android device.
You may not be aware of this, but Google uses the Location feature to keep track of where the user is!
I started getting pop-up ads for businesses near my current location! I had to reset my device to the
factory state to clean it up, but eventually the reset function didn't work anymore! Since my personal
info was on the device, I removed the back cover and I used my drill press to drill a hole in the center
of each of the surface mount chips. Then I recycled it!

I've owned my iPhone SE since early 2018. I've received about 20 iOS updates and, currently, iOS 13.5
is installed. Twice an update screwed-up my phone, but Apple quickly issued another update to fix
the problem.

The default Apple Mail app doesn't support a POP3 connection, which means that if I delete an email
from my Inbox, it gets deleted on the server too. A few days after I purchased my iPhone, I found
the Air Mail app, which supports POP3, in the Apple App store and I purchased it for $4.99. I've been
happy with this app until recently. A couple of weeks ago, when I start Air Mail, a full screen ad appears
for their new app, which requires that I pay a monthly fee to use it! This is a really dirty trick to play
on Air Mail users who are happy with the old version of Air Mail! Since it takes several minutes for the
option to delete this ad to appear, I uninstalled Air Mail and I'm using Apple Mail again and I'll have to be
careful about deleting emails on my iPhone!

I'll probably purchase a more basic cell phone next time!
JohnSwanson

Postby gmregister » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 am

Perhaps this suggestion might help with your not wanting to fully delete messages from your Apple Mail app.
1. Use the regular Apple Mail app on your iPhone.
2. Create a new folder called “To-Be-Deleted” or whatever name you want to give the folder.
3. Move any email message that you want to delete into that new folder.

That way, you will have these to-be-deleted email messages out of your Inbox, but they will still be available on the email server in that new folder if you want them.

When possible, I think one is better off using Apple's built-in iPhone apps instead of 3rd party apps. I have greater confidence that the Apple Apps are secure and are not siphoning data off to who-knows-where.

I am a former Android user for more than a decade, but am now an iPhone user who will probably not go back.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.
gmregister

Return to Just Chatting