Would you like a free Dell laptop with Lubuntu Linux?

Have something general to talk about? This is the place.

Would you like a free Dell laptop with Lubuntu Linux?

Postby JohnSwanson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:33 pm

I have a free Dell Inspiron 3148 laptop, with Lubuntu Linux v17.04 LTS installed on it, for anybody who wants it!
The catch is that there's no Linux driver for the wi-fi card, which makes this a stand-alone laptop! I think that
you can install a different wi-fi card that has a Linux driver available. However, I'm not going down this path!

I need a Windows laptop for my scuba diving trips because the software for my dive computer and underwater
camera run on this OS! This laptop originally had Windows 8.1 installed, but this OS is so unstable that I've
given-up on it! Early on, I installed an expensive Intel 730 series SSD, which really sped-up the laptop! However,
I just purchased a Dell Latitude laptop with Windows 7 Professional installed on it and I need the SSD for my new
laptop! I cloned the SSD onto the old hard drive, hoping that I'd have a Windows 8.1 laptop to give away.
Unfortunately, with the hard drive installed, Windows 8.1 is so appallingly slow that the laptop is useless running
this OS!

Unless I hear from somebody before August 1st, I'll recycle this laptop!
JohnSwanson

Re: I got a quick hit on my laptop offer!

Postby JohnSwanson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm

An Avaya retiree, who now lives in So California, is the first person to respond to my offer and has won my laptop giveaway!
I feel better letting somebody use this laptop then I do recycling it!

John
JohnSwanson

Return to Just Chatting