Obamacare, good or bad for Avaya retirees?

This is the place to talk politics.

Is Obamacare good or bad for Avaya retirees?

Good
64%
Bad
21%
I have no idea
14%

Total votes : 14

Obamacare, good or bad for Avaya retirees?

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Do you think Obamacare will be good or bad for Avaya retirees?

My current thoughts are that Avaya will continue to raise the price of health insurance so that most retirees cannot afford it.

Once Obamacare fully kicks in in 2013 and pre-existing conditions are removed from the rate equation people will be able to find much cheaper insurance.

Thoughts?????
Dave

Re: Obamacare, good or bad for Avaya retirees?

Postby wbhyde » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:34 am

I think that the exchanges in the states will start taking applications near the end of this year (2013) but I believe that the full ObamaCare will not be in place until 2014. It's rather a non-issue for me since I'm retired military, but I do firmly believe that every one should have single payer. For more info why it's the payment system that matters and not the delivery mechanism, I recommend T.R. Reid's book "The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care". A rather interesting side note is that he got the most help for his injured shoulder at an Ayurvedic Spa in India. My wife recently went to an Ayurvedic Spa in Breckenridge and received the most relief she has ever had from her bad back. I wonder if Medicare/Tricare for Life will cover that.
Bill
wbhyde

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:46 pm

wbhyde wrote:I think that the exchanges in the states will start taking applications near the end of this year (2013) but I believe that the full ObamaCare will not be in place until 2014. ....
Bill

Yeah, I heard that by 1/1/2014 Obamacare kicks in and that is when insurance companies are no longer allowed to do predatory pricing.

I would think this means that super health people will pay a little more and everyone else will pay quite a bit less.

I would think the rates would be in age brackets (e.g., 20 - 25, 26 - 39, 30 - 35, etc.) but I have not heard this. Just speculation on my part.
Dave

Postby DiscoverGKC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:48 pm

I agree, something had to be done to the health system in this country
to many were uninsured so those who were insured were paying for
it through higher insurance rates the costs were hidden but if you were
insured you were paying for the uninsured.
Whether Obamcare is good or bad? The jury is still out.
The real question is do we want to pay for those who are sick or elderly?
It seems this whole issue of health care debate has created the attitude
toward the sick and old that they are a financial burden on the health care system.
Well why have a health care system at all then if not care for the sick and elderly ?
With this "burdensome attitude", some companies are demanding employees take
certain health tests such weight, BMI, and others.
Then setting the insurance rate based on those factors.
Don't think that the next step, DNA for other genetic factors, testing is not far behind.
This is form of eugenics by economic means. (Wife & I call it Soylent Green)
I don't disagree that each person has to take responsibility for their general
heath but there are many factors outside a person's control that account for them
not meeting the "healthy standards"
Some companies and insurance plans provide ready access to fitness centers
and health centers. This is a good thing, and individuals should take full
advantage of them when offered.
For I haven't met anybody that would rather be doing something else than being a
a patient in a doctors office or hospital. There may be some, but I haven't
met them.
Companies nor the government should never demand employees summit
to medical testing for the purpose of setting health insurance rates.
but as the idiom says "He who pays the piper calls the tune"

Regards DiscoverGKC
DiscoverGKC

Postby Taz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 am

@DiscoverGKC

"The real question is do we want to pay for those who are sick or elderly?
It seems this whole issue of health care debate has created the attitude
toward the sick and old that they are a financial burden on the health care system.
Well why have a health care system at all then if not care for the sick and elderly ?"

I totally agree but I'm afraid It goes way beyond just health care although health care is a fine example. There is an attitude out there amongst certain people, that once you are old (or out of a job, or disabled), you only 'consume' and do not 'produce'. You may substitute other words like 'takers' and 'job creators' for these words if you want. As such, consumers are viewed as not pulling their weight, are seen as a burden to the system, and deserve the inhumane treatment they receive. What it really gets down to is what sort of society we wish to have. If we're not happy with how things are we need to work, work, work, to change them. It won't happen overnight but it can change. Obamacare is the first step.
Taz

Return to Politics