HCTC 2021

This is the place to talk about all healthcare related items.

Re: HCTC 2020

Postby mdimov » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 pm

We filed our taxes on July 15th with the 8555 form and supporting materials enumerated on the IRS website. If memory serves me correctly, we received our return in October. Ready to do it again this April then one last time for TY2021. One good thing that came out of the Avaya bankruptcy...
mdimov

Re: HCTC refund for 2019

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:52 am

Vbaumwald wrote:Is anyone else still waiting for their HCTC refund from their 2019 tax return?
I am and my accountant has contacted the IRS and has been told that the group that handles HCTC is very backed up.
Mind you I filed electronically in March 2020 and I’m really losing my patience here...wondering if there are others in my shoes.
Thanks
Vickie Baumwald

Vickie:

We also filed in March of 2020 and as of November I had lost my patience. Tried to find a phone number for the IRS and that was a total waste of time.

I finally found a number for the IRS Tax Advocacy group. After about 3 hours of being on hold I finally had a case assigned. A week later a case manager called me and I explained the situation. He checked into it and said the refund is being delayed because the IRS needed more information. They need PROOF that my pension was being paid by the government, proof that I paid all the premiums (copies of credit card statements or bank statements), and the letter from pension guarantee fund that they took over the pension.

The IRS never notified me because this was sitting on some guys desk who is probably working at home. The tax advocate said there is a lot of fraud around the HCTC and since both my wife and I claimed it alarms went off.

Anyway I faxed all the information to the tax advocate and within two weeks the refund was released.

I suspect your return is also sitting on some dudes desk who really doesn't give a crap. Since it is a return for a refund you are on the bottom of the priority list.

If I hadn't contacted the tax advocacy group I am sure I would still be waiting.

The phone number is 877-777-4778

You call the number and talk to dude 1. Dude 1 will give you a temporary number and then transfer you to dude 2. Prepare to wait 3 hours or more for dude 2 to answer. If you hang up the temporary number becomes invalid and you will have to call the 877 number and start over with Dude 1.

When you eventually get to talk to Dude 2 you get to tell him everything you told Dude 1. Dude 2 will give you a real case number and a real phone number to call in two weeks if no one gets back to you.

Moral of story is to NOT file electronically and provide all the above proof with the return. Stupid Turbo Tax (or the guberment) does not allow you to provide this information when you file electronically.
Dave

Re: HCTC 2020

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:54 am

mdimov wrote:We filed our taxes on July 15th with the 8555 form and supporting materials enumerated on the IRS website. If memory serves me correctly, we received our return in October. Ready to do it again this April then one last time for TY2021. One good thing that came out of the Avaya bankruptcy...

Yeah, I just wish they would have filed for bankruptcy years earlier (like the year after they went private and took on that debt since they were technically bankrupt from that point in time (assets < debt))
Last edited by Dave on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Re: HCTC 2021

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:00 am

alpessot wrote:Yes, I'm also waiting on my 2019 return and did claim the HCTC.
I was able to speak to an agent about a month ago who looked into my file.'
Turns out we did not submit all the appropriate supporting material (health insurance invoices, proof of payment).
According to the agent we were to be notified of the missing documentation by mail,
but the file indicated no such notification had been sent out.
We faxed all the needed info and are of course still waiting.

I'm doubly upset because 2020 stimulus checks were supposed to be based on 2019 tax return info,
but since that hasn't been processed, my 2018 taxes were used.
I had much more income in 2018 than 2019 and received a stimulus of $7.95 rather than $2000.
No idea how I get that back once the 2019 taxes are processed.

Yeah, I got screwed by that as well. I filed in March and received a smaller stimulus check because they used 2018 income instead of 2019. I sold some stock in 2018 so my income was higher. I doubt there is any way to protest it and get a bigger check. At least my check was more than 8 bucks!

Regarding getting the refund. Same thing happened to us (I just posted about it). They were supposed to send us a letter requesting more information but they never did. I am sure if the IRS thought that we OWED them money then that letter would have got sent out.
Dave

Postby alpessot » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:04 am

Dave,

I believe there is a way to recover the short stimulus money due to 2018 tax return being used rather than 2019.

This article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynit ... 147e3eb9dc

states "the stimulus payment is intended to be an advance payment against an actual credit you will compute on your 2020 tax return" .... "if your advance payment is LESS than what you’re owed when you compute your 2020 return, you’ll get the excess as a credit on that return. But if your advance credit is GREATER than what you’re actually owed come the filing of your 2020 return, there appears to be no mechanism to either 1) repay the excess payment, or 2) recognize the excess amount as income."
alpessot

Postby elsmelko » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:49 am

Mike, Dave, Al et all,

My 2019 Federal, return submitted through Turbo Tax, was accepted by IRS on 02/19/2019. I mailed the HCTC forms and supporting documentation close to that date. Like others I waited and waited. My refund did come via ETF info my bank account on 06/25/2019. Curiously the refund amount was 30.42 greater than what was shown on my return. The mystery was solved recently when I got a 1099-INT from the IRS for 30.42! I'm just guessing, but it seems the IRS paid interest on delayed processing of return?!

Ed
elsmelko

Postby Vbaumwald » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:03 pm

Well thank you everyone..at least I am not alone in this...my accountant did get ahold of them and they claim they have everything they need..that we submitted everything properly but are just still very backed up and there is nothing to do but wait...got my first stimulus check EFT fine based on my 2018’s but have not gotten the lastest stimulus and I’m assuming maybe it’s because my 2019 are stuck in processing .....so frustrating...one person said they got $30 more and I bet that was the interest they are supposed to pay for being so delayed...and we wait...
Vickie
Vbaumwald

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:49 pm

Vbaumwald wrote:Well thank you everyone..at least I am not alone in this...my accountant did get ahold of them and they claim they have everything they need..that we submitted everything properly but are just still very backed up and there is nothing to do but wait...got my first stimulus check EFT fine based on my 2018’s but have not gotten the lastest stimulus and I’m assuming maybe it’s because my 2019 are stuck in processing .....so frustrating...one person said they got $30 more and I bet that was the interest they are supposed to pay for being so delayed...and we wait...
Vickie

Vickie:

I would still contact the Tax Advocacy group. At least in my case that really appeared to help.

At least the IRS pay good interest on the money. I think it is like 5% APR.
Dave

Postby sgaeth » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:44 pm

I too have not received my 2019 Federal Income Tax Return. I filed June 2,2020. I have been in touch with a Tax Advocate. Have been waiting for six weeks for some kind of update. Two days ago, I was told that she had filed the inquiry with the IRS but had not heard anything. She said it could be another 30 days or longer before the IRS might respond because they are so far behind. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get my refund? Thanks for all the previous stated information.

Scott
sgaeth

Previous

Return to Healthcare