United Healthcare Advantage Plan

This is the place to talk about all healthcare related items.

United Healthcare Advantage Plan

Postby Jeaskew » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Has anyone had experience with United Healthcare Medicare Advantage? Thinking of switching to them after talking to their rep. The AARP United Supplemental Plan F or G would cost us about $600 a month. We are reasonably healthy so the Advantage plan is much cheaper but of course doesn’t have the coverage of the supplemental. We are thinking we would switch to the supplemental as we get further along in age.
Jeaskew

Re: United Healthcare Advantage Plan

Postby vchenu » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:32 pm

I have been using F and it has worked very well for me. It seems to cover everything. I had an unexpected illness away from home and had two surgeries and a 2 week hospital stay in two different hospitals and paid nothing ! Every thing was covered.

I would not change it.
vchenu

Postby dlbritton » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:33 am

I can't speak to the United Healthcare Advantage plan but I have an Aetna Advantage $0 cost plan. I do have a $25/35 copay for doctor visits.

I recently had back surgery and my total cost was $250. The plan refers to a 20% hospital copay with a $4000 out of pocket max but I didn't get billed.
My Advantage plan includes Silver Sneakers which gets me free YMCA and Planet Fitness access among others so that saves about $50 a month.

My wife has traditional medicare with a Blue Cross supplement and separate Part D plan. Her cost is around $150/month. She had a hip replacement with no out of pocket cost.
dlbritton

Postby adfranklin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:45 am

I decided to use traditional Medicare with a supplement from blue cross because of the desire not to be constrained to a private insurance company's network of doctors. I've been very happy with that choice. Medicare had paid for a couple of expensive surgeries without any hassles. There was one case where a surgeon I wanted did not accept Medicare, but his partner did. But he would likely be out of network for any advantage plan as well.
adfranklin

Postby mdimov » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 am

I also took the "F" plan to work with Medicare. Unfortunately, F is no longer available but G still is. I needed to have a plan that was accepted in bot PA and FL - this fits the bill. Good luck to all with your decision making process.
mdimov

Postby wallerjerry » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:27 am

If you are paying $600 a month for 2 people you are getting ripped off. You should be paying no more than $140 per person per month for the best plan out there. In fact many plans are $0 per month but carry some copay expense. I would recommend you contact any Medicare Insurance agent who is an independent representative and have them review your situation and recommend a plan that would minimize your expense yet provide good coverage.

Unless you have a very unique circumstance there is no way you should be spending that much.
wallerjerry

Postby Jeaskew » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will take the advice and find a good Medicare insurance agent to help me decide. I thought plan f Was only not available to those who are newly enrolled in Medicare.
Jeaskew

Postby mdimov » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:46 am

Here's one link explaining the traditional plans. https://boomerbenefits.com/is-plan-f-go ... nt%20plans.
mdimov

Postby mlb » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:41 am

I have AARP's Medicare Advantage plan from United Healthcare and am very happy with this insurance. I pay $144/month for Medicare, which is taken out of my SS check, pay nothing for the Medicare Advantage plan. This year there are no co-pays for regular doctor office visits. UnitedHealthcare used to offer Silver Sneakers, but switched over to a program called Renew Active. Pretty much same as Silver Sneakers, I just had to update my info at the rec centers I go to, switch to Renew Active.
mlb

Postby ragdmg » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:47 pm

When comparing Medicare Sup plans F & G, remember the only difference between them is plan F covers the deductible whereas you pay the deductible yourself if you have plan G. When I was shopping, I observed the difference in price was MORE than the deductible. For example, 2020's deductible is $198 per person and the plans I shopped wanted approximately $210 more for plan F than plan G. Thus it was more cost efficient for me to pay the deductible out of pocket. DISCLAIMER: prices were for the plans I shopped. You may find a more level comparison.
ragdmg

Next

Return to Healthcare