Looks like HCTC has been extended 1 more year

This is the place to talk about all healthcare related items.

Looks like HCTC has been extended 1 more year

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:35 pm

It looks like the HCTC will not expire this year.

If I read the article below correctly, it has been extended for 1 year but there is an effort to extend it for 5 years. This is fantastic news for those of us who are not yet medicare eligible.

https://turner.house.gov/media-center/p ... five-years
Dave

Re: Looks like HCTC has been extended 1 more year

Postby sgaeth » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:49 am

This is fantastic news!! I have written my Representative to confirm this news and asked him to support extending the bill for five years.
sgaeth

Postby sgaeth » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:58 am

I have written my representative with three email requests with no response. Can anyone confirm that HCTC has been extended for 2020? My family is trying to decide our health insurance for 2020.
Thanks,

Scott
sgaeth

Postby sgaeth » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 am

I talked to my Congressman, John Moolenaar's office. The HCTC has indeed been extended for 2020!

Scott
sgaeth

Postby bdbutterfield » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:32 pm

I received the attached letter from the IRS saying the HCTC is expires on December 31, 2019. Does anyone know if there is still an effort to extend it?
Attachments
LetterFromIRSannouncing cancellation of HCTC.pdf
(483.49 KiB) Downloaded 918 times
bdbutterfield

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:50 pm

I received an email from the NRLN today.

Bottom line is that it looks those who depended on the HCTC are screwed.

I was informed from the PBGC today that the Health Care Tax Credit - HCTC Program will end on December 31, 2019. We have Avaya Chapter members that were in pay status by PBGC that are under 65 years old that will be affected by the ending of this program.

Those Avaya retirees that were not on Medicare could get help to pay 72% of the cost of their health insurance. This program was to end several years ago, but it was extended by Congress each time the sunset clause approached.

There were at least two bills introduced this year to extend the program one for 1 year that made it through the House Ways and Means Committee mark up and another proposal to extend it by 5 years. Neither ever made it out of the Committee. We can thank Congress again for doing nothing constructive to help its constituents.

I was asked to direct those affected to the IRS website for additional instructions in reference to the HCTC Program. Click here (https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/hctc) to access the website.

Also, IRS has issued letters to all participants in the Advance Monthly Program that HCTC is scheduled to end December 31, 2019.
Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 pm

I just went to the IRS website and it does look those of us who were able to use the HCTC are screwed.

Thanks to congress for doing nothing.
Dave

Postby mmani » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:51 pm

There is probably another topic that has already discussed this and, if so, apologies for bringing stale (though still good) news:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/hctc

It confirms that HCTC has been extended for one more year (2020).

-mani
mmani

Return to Healthcare