KP screws us regarding the Health Coverage Tax Credit

This is the place to talk about all healthcare related items.

KP screws us regarding the Health Coverage Tax Credit

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:21 am

Well, it turns out KP refuses to take the 5 minutes to fill out an IRS form to get a vendor number so it is not possible for KP customers to get the IRS to pay 72.5% of the premium.

If you are a KP customer I would strongly encourage you to also file a complaint via their website.

Maybe if enough people complain they will change their mind.

Below is the letter I received from them.

I might go to 9 News (Denver) because they have a reporter who specializes in reporting about how Insurance Companies rip people off.
Attachments
KP_Letter.pdf
(36.41 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
Dave

Re: KP screws us regarding the Health Coverage Tax Credit

Postby dwhisenant » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:07 am

As I understand this issue, you are not denied the tax credit. I believe you can still claim the credit when you report your 2018 taxes and receive the benefit as a refund. What it does deny you is the ability to request monthly payments using form 13441-A. From KPs point of view, it may not be filling out the form that is their problem, likely it is the added costs to them of complying with the IRS processes. I agree with you that no matter what the reason, it places more of a burden on you to pay upfront and collect 12 - 15 months later.
dwhisenant

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Yes, you are correct, you are not denied the tax credit but will have to wait 15 months to get it. In our case that will be close to $18,000.
Dave

Postby dwhisenant » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Same here, mine is $1300 per month. I used the HRA from Avaya for Jan and Feb, hoping I would get the paper work for the HCTC to pay the Mar payment. Didn't happen, so I start going in the hole starting now.
dwhisenant

Postby tomindenver » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:09 am

Dave, on January 2, John Swanson answered your Dec 22 post under topic "Anyone have the HCTC vendor # for Kaiser" and said the KP vendor # was 94-1105628. Why were you unable to use that? Did Kaiser tell you that was incorrect?
tomindenver

Re: Now I'm really confused!

Postby JohnSwanson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Dave,

I called KP early this year and was told that this is the KP HCTC Vendor Number for my area: 94-1105628
Of course, I'm unable to confirm that this is correct! In addition, I read that the legislation that created
the HCTC expires at the end of 2019, which means that there's no reason to believe that the HCTC will
be around in 2020. Since I'm managing my income so that I'm eligible for an ACA subsidy, I can continue
with this plan until I'm Medicare eligible.

Although my pension is still being paid by the Avaya plan, I read in a post on this board, that I'll receive
a letter from the PBGC in the future. Maybe they are moving people alphabetically, using the last name,
but they haven't reached the letter S yet?

I'll chill-out and see what happens next!
JohnSwanson

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 pm

tomindenver wrote:Dave, on January 2, John Swanson answered your Dec 22 post under topic "Anyone have the HCTC vendor # for Kaiser" and said the KP vendor # was 94-1105628. Why were you unable to use that? Did Kaiser tell you that was incorrect?

That is true, but I wanted to hear from KP. The last thing I want to do is fill out the IRS form and have money sent to the wrong company. I can just imagine the issues with that!.
Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:51 am

I sent KP another email asking if that vendor number was valid.

Their reply was NOPE!!!
Dave

Postby tomindenver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:14 am

Dave, I am wondering if different regions of KP participate in HCTC program and others do not. Are you in Denver/Boulder region or another? I am in Denver/Boulder and when I called a few months ago, they said they were in the program, but it took a few reps before I could get an answer. I did not get a vendor # at that time.
tomindenver

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 am

Tom:

I am also in the Denver / Boulder area.

I would suggest that you send them an email via the KP portal.

Dave
Dave

Next

Return to Healthcare