KP screws us regarding the Health Coverage Tax Credit

This is the place to talk about all healthcare related items.

Re: KP screws us regarding the Health Coverage Tax Credit

Postby JohnSwanson » Wed May 09, 2018 5:36 pm

I called the Denver/Boulder KP member billing number to ask about the HCTC Vendor Number to see if I get the
same number that I was provided early this year. The woman I spoke with didn't know anything about the HCTC
and forwarded me to nationwide KP member services. I was on the phone for about an hour with a fellow who
also had never heard of the HCTC. After lots of thrashing, I provided him with the number (13441-A) of the IRS
form and asked for the HCTC Vendor Number for the Denver/Boulder area. He consulted with his coworkers and
suggested that I call Connect For Health Colorado to find out what the number is! When I pointed-out that I must
purchase my policy directly from KP to be able to apply for the HCTC, I don't think that he understood the implications!

Since I'm getting a substantial ACA subsidy, It's too risky for me to cancel the KP policy that I purchased using
Connect For Health Colorado without knowing for certain that KP participates in the HCTC program. So I'm
going to stick with my ACA policy and be happy! :D
JohnSwanson

Postby tomindenver » Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 am

A few weeks ago I again tried to get the Kaiser vendor number with no luck. The rep stuck with me and tried hard to find out calling several departments. We both concluded since she couldn't find anyone who knew anything, it most likely means (as was mentioned in earlier posts) they simply do not participate. I asked who I would contact to go through the steps to begin participating again since several of us would benefit and it would help Kaiser retain customers, and she gave me a national corporate number. I punted on following up. Just don't have confidence they would do it since 2019 is the last year to get HCTC.

So I am just going to wait until I do my 2018 taxes early next year to claim the credit hopefully for June thru December, 2018 (the months I understand PBGC will pay the pension). For me, that will amount to around $4,000. Would be great to get it via advance payments, but I'm giving up on that.

TomInDenver
tomindenver

Postby mdimov » Fri May 11, 2018 12:12 pm

John, I'm guessing that you and I are not the only two on this site managing our income stream to take advantage of the ACA credits... If and when Avaya pays the Supplemental Pension benefit, what are you going to do with that income stream? If you want to discuss off-line, please send an email to mdimov@comcast.net. Thanks.
mdimov

Postby ananda15 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:21 am

I am not a Avaya retiree but a PBGC pension beneficiary via the United Airlines system. Sorry to intrude here but I hope I find common cause. I am in Georgia and trying to find the Vendor number from KP. No luck yet but still trying.

In any case, the HCTC will end in December 2019. Last time it ended in 2015, it was extended to 2019. I think this is a Treasury Department action that have to be signed by the President but does not require Congressional action. I am just wondering if I could find common cause here along with UAL retirees to send a petition to the treasury department to extend this beyond 2019. If I see some interest, I will draft a letter.
ananda15

Postby Administrator » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:08 am

Welcome to the forum.

I think the folks here would welcome such a letter along with guidance on who to send it to.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby sgaeth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm

A drafted letter would be most appreciated. I'm sure there are many of us in the same situation. Thank you.
sgaeth

Previous

Return to Healthcare