Extension of HCTC

This is the place to talk about all healthcare related items.

Extension of HCTC

Postby bdbutterfield » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:51 pm

The HCTC(Health Care Tax Credit) is set to expire on January 1, 2021. Please consider writing your representative to ask them to extend it.
Here is a link to the Delphi Salaried Retirees Association web page that has a sample letter.
https://www.dsrabenefittrust.net/
bdbutterfield

Re: Extension of HCTC

Postby mdimov » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Thanks for the info. I spent some time on the IRS website today and discovered the same thing. How many of us remaining can still take advantage of the HCTCredit?
mdimov

Postby mdimov » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Downloaded sample letter, but cannot open... Can someone who can open please cut/paste and either post here or email to me at mdimov@comcast.net? Thanks in advance. Mike
Last edited by mdimov on Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdimov

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:04 pm

mdimov wrote:Thanks for the info. I spent some time on the IRS website today and discovered the same thing. How many of us remaining can still take advantage of the HCTCredit?

4 more years for me and 6 for my wife.
Dave

Postby selopez » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:33 am

Thank you for providing a link to the sample letter. I made a few adjustments and I am sending my letters to my Representative and Senator today.
selopez

Postby vernlarson@cox.net » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:02 pm

See later uodate
Last edited by vernlarson@cox.net on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
vernlarson@cox.net

Postby sgaeth » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:26 pm

I have been in contact with my Congressman John Moolenaar on a number of occasions . This afternoon I was told the HCTC extension H.R. 1939 was introduced by Representative Michael Turner (R-OH) and referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means. Please contact your Congressman to get this very important bill extended.
sgaeth

Postby vernlarson@cox.net » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 am

To: Update: NRLN Avaya Retirees Chapter Members - Action Item

Respond to NRLN Action Alert on Extend Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC)

We have a number of Avaya salaried retirees that have qualified and benefited from the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) because they lost their company healthcare coverage due to the Avaya bankruptcy.
This refundable tax credit pays 72.5% of qualified health insurance premiums for eligible individuals between the ages of 55 and 64 (before Medicare eligibility) and their families.
Because the Tax Credit was originally set up with a sunset clause where it was to expire in a few years it has been extended several times with a one-year extension.

This year the HCTC will need an “extender” that must be passed by Congress by 12-31-2020. The NRLN has issued an Action Alert requesting that all NRLN members email the NRLN’s sample letter to their U.S. Representative and Senators to request that an HCTC extension for 2021 be attached to a bill that is expected to be enacted before the end of the year.

We had heard from a couple of Senator’s tax staff this yesterday – that they are working hard for the extenders including HCTC, but it is not clear at this time if there will be a package this Congress.

We can all help if we reach out to our members of Congress and tell them to get together and get this done in the next couple of weeks. Go to https://www.nrln.org/SE.html#/ and click on the “TAKE ACTION” link to email your letter today to your Representative and Senator. If you have benefited from HCTC, insert your person comments into the letter on how important HCTC is to you and your family.

Regards,
Vern Larson, President, NRLN Avaya Retirees Chapter
NRLN Board Member, Vice President – Membership Development
vernlarson@cox.net

Postby JudiJ » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:12 pm

October 1, 2020
John Doe
101 Main Street
Dayton, OH 45405

The Honorable (Your Senator’s or Representative’s Name)
(local or Washington DC Address of Senator or Representative)

Dear Senator/Representative (Name),

I am writing to encourage you to support the immediate reauthorization of the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC). The HCTC is set to expire on December 31, 2020 unless Congress acts. Without your support, thousands of my fellow retirees and their families in industries that built this nation, such as Auto, Steel and Airline, will lose the ability to afford premiums for the quality healthcare they are provided with this program. These American workers have been negatively affected, through no fault of their own, by employer bankruptcies or offshoring of their jobs to foreign competition.

Reauthorizing the HCTC program now will ensure these retirees and their families will retain the affordable healthcare insurance that they deserve during a time where healthcare coverage is of the utmost importance. The current COVID-19 legislation moving through Congress addresses healthcare and therefore, I am asking that you strongly consider incorporating the HCTC reauthorization, for a minimum of 5 years or permanently, within that legislation. Quick action by you and Congress will allow retired workers like me to maintain the health insurance I desperately need for myself and my family.

There are over 800,000 retirees in the U.S. that receive a decreased pension from the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC). These retirees have lost much of the retirement saving they were promised when the companies they worked for declared bankruptcy and the pensions they contributed to for years were lost. Any of the 800,000 PBGC recipients between the age of 55-65, like myself, are eligible for the HCTC program which helps to afford healthcare due to my decreased retirement savings. Alternatively, over the past five years there have been more than 445,000 certified Trade Adjustment Assistance workers across the country that also qualified for the HCTC program. Like me, these workers, the backbone of America, have been affected and have lost their jobs to foreign competition. They too deserve the benefit and security the HCTC program provides them and their families.

Therefore, I urge you to support the immediate reauthorization of this program for my family and the families of the other constituents you represent. We are depending on you.

Respectfully,

John Doe
101 Main Street
Dayton, OH 45405
JudiJ

Return to Healthcare