Avaya pay $20 mil to name stadium when San Jose Earthquakes

This is the area to talk about whatever is on your mind.

Avaya pay $20 mil to name stadium when San Jose Earthquakes

Postby Administrator » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:40 am

Avaya is paying $20 million for naming rights of the new stadium where the San Jose Earthquakes will play. The stadium will seat 18,000 people.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Avaya-Stadium-San-Jose-Earthquakes-Announce-Naming-Deal-As-Cost-Of-New-Stadium-Skyrockets-283278811.html
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Avaya pay $20 mil to name stadium when San Jose Earthqu

Postby ravenclaw » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:26 am

Nice..real nice...b..b..bu..bu..but how about some cash for the severely underfunded, "at risk" pension plan ?
ravenclaw

Postby mdtu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Naah, it would be much more fun to let current retirees withdraw from the pension fund and watch the later retirees fight with them when Avaya declares
the fund insolvent
mdtu

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:59 pm

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Avaya would spend $20 million for naming rights on a stadium.

1. How can they afford to do this when they are so far in debt and don't have all that much money in the back?

2. Typically, companies who purchase naming rights are companies who sell products and services to consumers (e.g., MetLife, A T & T, Sports Authority, Microsoft, Staples, etc.). Avaya does not sell anything to consumers. The consumer couldn't care less what Avaya makes. The corporate customer is who Avaya sells to and I don't think corporate customers make decision based on silly things like stadium names. At least I don't think they do.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is a good investment for Avaya?
Dave

Return to Just Chatting